Peace with God is not just an abstract concept, it is something real that God offers to each one of us. God offers peace and freedom from all guilt, along with the certainty of an amazing future; to be with God in heaven forever. The Bible says in Romans 5:1:
Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Let’s break this down simply. First, we will look at the problem, i.e., why do we need to find peace with God and don’t have it automatically? We will then look at the solution that God has found to make that peace possible, and finally how that peace can be experienced by everyone of us.
Our Problem - why do we not have this peace?
- Mankind was created to love God and to be in a relationship with God.
- However, it was not long before we decided to reject God and to go our own way.
- Since that time all of us have rejected God's clear commandments. The Bible calls this ‘sin’ and it is this that stops us from having peace with God.
- The Bible says: “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). Even people that we might look up to, seeming to be really good are sinners in God’s eyes.
- This is a serious problem, because God is just and holy; He must punish our rebellion (or sin).
- One day (when we die) we will have to stand before God and face the consequences of that sin, for which the punishment is to suffer forever in a terrible place called hell.
God's Solution - how He made that peace possible.
- God is not only just and holy, He is also love.
- In fact, He loves us so much that He sent His one and only son (Jesus) into the world to rescue us and give us peace with God.
- The Bible says: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)
- Even then, men showed how wicked they really were. They did their worst to Him and even put Him to death by crucifixion, despite being the only Man who had never done anything wrong.
- Despite this God still loves us, and He loved us so much that while Jesus hung on the cross, He poured out on His Son the punishment that you and I deserve. Jesus willingly took this punishment in full because He loves us so much.
- After three days He came to life again and ascended back into heaven and is alive today and forever.
Our Response - how do we find that peace?
- Having suffered for sin in a way that is completely just, God offers peace and forgiveness to all who will receive it.
- He has staged the greatest rescue plan ever. All we need to do is accept what He has done for us.
- We need to thank Him for dying for us, ask His forgiveness for our sins and ask Him to help us to lead a life that is honouring to him
- We will then be brought into that real, living relationship with a loving God and experience the joy and peace that He wants to give.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
- If we sincerely do this, then God guarantees us a home in heaven.
- He makes us His children and pours on us more blessings than we could ever imagine.
- The Bible says:
as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God.(John 1:11)
- He sends God the Holy Spirit to give us the power to live as we should.
Would you like to find peace with God? You can do this now by sincerely praying a simple prayer like this:
Dear Lord Jesus. I accept that I have rebelled against you and am a sinner. I accept that although I deserve punishment for my rebellion you took that punishment for me. Please come into my life, forgive my sins, and give me your peace. With your help I want to live my life for you. Amen.
Once you accept Jesus into your life it is really important to develop that relationship with the Lord Jesus by reading His book (the Bible) and by speaking to Him in prayer. Our Basic Bible Course outlines the main fundamentals of the Christian life and the basic teachings of the Bible. Why not check it out?